National Level Challenges sponsored by various clubs throughout the nation
Each challenge has its own set of rules made by the club that is sponsoring the challenge. In all challenges you must buy the book and then do the walks. You must check with each sponsoring club to get the exact rules. Some clubs are very strict on their rules and other clubs are just the opposite.
- Indefinitely: Ending date is ongoing - 50 States; 51 Capitals including Washington D.C.; Walking the USA (A to Z); Special National Officer Book (S.N.O.B), plus several youth programs
- Ends in 2017: Amphitheatres; Animal Safari; Boardwalks; Food for Thought; Volcanoes
- Ends in 2018: Bridges - Spanning the USA; Doin' The Louisiana Purchase; Lady Liberty; Make a Wish - Water Fountains; National Parks Centennial; Points of Reference; State Street Sashay; Take a Walk In a City Park; Treasure Hunt; United States Post Offices; Vice Presidential Walks; Walk the USA - Street by Street; Walking America's Ports of Call; Walking the Path of Inventions;
- Ends in 2019: Ice Cream Parlors; Underground Railroad
- Ends in 2023: Border Crossings
For more information go to
Ended in 2010: Authors & Literary Landmarks; Cemetary Stroll; Great Lakes; Islands; Native American Culture; Pony Express; Railroad Heritage; Riverwalk America
AVA Current Special Programs
AVA Future Special Programs
AVA Ended Special Programs
Ended in 2011: America's Gardens; Artistic Heritage; Covered Bridges; Firehouses; Historic Churches; Museums; Veteran Memorials; Waterfalls
Ended in 2012: Carnegie Libraries; Forts of the United States; Hillside Letters; Honoring Law Enforcement; Hooray for Hollywood; Liberty Bell
Ended in 2013: America's Baseball; Grist Mills; Walking America's Trails
Ended in 2014: America's Bakeries; Celebrating Golden Cinemas; Classic American Diners; Strolling Somewhere Over the Rainbow; Struttin' Down Main Street; Walking America's Murals; Works Projects Administration (WPA)
Ended in 2015: Civil War Battlefields; Fraternal Organizations; Walking the Old Spanish Trail
Ended in 2016: Alternative Capitals; Cities in Song; Honoring our Flag; Lakes and Reservoirs; National Register of Historic Places; Trekking With the Trees; Water Towers; You'll Never Walk Alone
Washington Challenges sponsored by ESVA
Washington started a Walk Every (39) County challenge in 2003 (1st Edition) which was replaced by 39 Counties 2nd Edition January 1, 2013 both are ongoing but the 1st Edition books are no longer being sold. Also in 2003 Washington had an A to Z challenge with the X being a wild card. The A to Z challenge was discontinued in 2005. A national A to Z challenge was started thereafter and is ongoing.
In 2015, Washington will continue with the following challenges:
The following books are not being sold to walkers but you can still receive your award(s) if you send in your completed book.  Patches will be distributed until they are gone.
- The Town and Trail challenges 2004-2009 had 4 subcategories for each challenge and where walkers were required to complete 7 walks in each sub-category. Included; Nature (books sold between 2004 to 2006), Town & Country (2005 to 2007), Water ( 2006 to 2008), History (2007 to 2009).
- The All Club Challenge 2008 - 2010 - where walkers walked an event (either YRE or weekend event) from each club in Washington.
- 2009 - 2011 ART - where walkers were required to do 7 walks in each category (Art show/galleries, Statues, Fountains/artwork, and Murals)
- 2010 - 2012 LANDSCAPE - where walkers were required to do 7 walks in each category (Mountains, Gorges, Farmland/Steppes and Forests)
- 2011 - 2013 TOWNS - where walkers were required to do 7 walks in each category (Post Office, Fire Station, Clock Towers and Bakeries)
- 2012 - 2014 PARKS - must do 7 walks in each category (City, County, State and Federal Park/Forest)
- 2013 - 2013 CENTENNIAL STATE PARKS - walking through Washington State Parks in 7 areas to recognize our State's Centennial of the Parks system.
- 2014 - 2016 Restaurants
For more information or to order books go to www.esva.online/challenges.
Walk Oregon Challenges sponsored by OTSVA
For more information go to www.walkoregon.org/walk-oregon-challenge/.