Sammamish Names Then and Now


Part 1|Part 2

Lake Sammamish

:  Adelaide was a small village located along the northeastern shore of Lake Sammamish in the early twentieth century. It was bisected by what is today (2008) 187th Avenue Northeast, which was then officially named Ed Botsford Road. Because the village was divided by this road, the northern part of Adelaide was in present-day Redmond, while the southern part was in today’s Sammamish. It is not currently known how the village got its name, though Adelaide was a somewhat common girl’s name in the early twentieth century. Adelaide was a company town owned by the Campbell mill which was located just north of the community. The mill opened in 1905 and the village started about the same time. By 1909 Adelaide boasted a store, hotel, and railroad depot; the community’s population seems to have averaged around 50 people. When the mill burned down in 1924 (some of its pier pilings are still visible in the lake), Adelaide faded away over the next decade or so.

Alexander’s- on- the Lake: This small upscale development is located along the lakeshore just north of the intersection of 212th Way SE and East Lake Sammamish Parkway SE. The property was originally bought by Thomas and Caroline Alexander, who in 1902 built a house on their property (on the east side of today’s parkway). Caroline opened Alexander’s Beach Resort in 1917, and it remained in the family until 1966; this resort was a major attraction on the southeastern shore of Lake Sammamish during the mid-twentieth century. The resort closed in 1985, but the development still bears the Alexander name.

Bill Reams East Sammamish ParkThe park, located on the north side of NE 16th Street just east of 212th Avenue NE, is named after Bill Reams, who served as a King County Councilmember for District 3 (which includes present-day Sammamish) from 1969 through 1989.

Four Corners:  Four Corners was an old name for the intersection of SE 24th Street and 228th Avenue SE.  There are some unconfirmed reports of a small school at this site around 1900.  The name seems to have fallen out of use early in the 1900s.

Inglewood:  Inglewood was a large-in-area, sparse-in-population community which, between the 1890s and the 1930s, covered an area that would today loosely be considered North Sammamish.  The debate over how Inglewood got its name has not yet been settled. One common misperception is that it was named after Ingebright Wold, who platted Englewood (later Issaquah) in the 1880s, but this is not correct. Some historians say Inglewood was named after Inglewood, California, while others say it has its roots in Great Britain. Since the name “Inglewood” means “English woodlands,” the British connection is a plausible possibility.
The town of Inglewood was platted in 1889.  Though no town was ever built, 17 streets were, and each street was named. The plat of Inglewood formed a square starting on the eastern shore of Lake Sammamish and running east along NE 16th Street (just north of Inglewood Hill Road) to 212th Avenue NE, south across Inglewood Hill Road to NE 8th Street, west back to the lake, and then north again.  Today this area makes up the Inglewood neighborhood, and most of the streets originally built survive today -- but none have their original names. The east-west streets between today’s NE 8th and NE 16th streets were all named after trees: 8th was Willow, 11th was Cherry, and 15th was Alder.  The north-south avenues were named a little more creatively. 203rd Avenue NE (which no longer exists) was Sammamish Avenue.  206th Avenue NE was Hillside, 210th was Upland, and 211th Avenue NE was Prospect. These original names survived through the 1930s, but area maps from about 1950 show today’s numerical street addresses.

Issaquah-Pine Lake Road:  This road is identified as “Gobel Road” on a 1936 area map. 

Laughing Jacobs Lake:  Laughing Jacobs Lake was named after Jacob Jones (1825-1905), a wealthy Issaquah resident, who owned a shingle mill near the southeast corner of Pine Lake between roughly 1893 and 1900. According to Hitchman’s “Place Names of Washington,” two early settlers, William Bush and Wilford Stewart, named the lake after Jacob Jones when they heard him trying to imitate a loon’s cry on the lake.  The lake also became informally known as Sutter’s Lake and Sutter’s Mill Pond during the first half of the twentieth century, named after the Sutter family, who owned property on the lake and ran a nearby mill during that time.

Monohon:  The town of Monohon was located in the vicinity of present-day East Lake Sammamish Parkway SE and SE 33rd Street, near the small Sammamish Lakeside Plaza strip mall.  Monohon was named after Martin Monohon (1820-1914), who in 1877 homesteaded on 160 acres about half a mile northeast of where the town of Monohon would later be built. The town and lumber mill were on the site from 1889 until a fire in 1925 destroyed virtually everything in the town, including the mill. At its height in the 1910s and early 1920s, Monohon had over 300 people, numerous businesses, and its own water system.

Sammamish:  Sammamish is a Native American name, but it does not, contrary to some published reports, mean “hunter people.”  According to Hitchman, the name Sammamish is derived from samma, meaning “the sound of the blue crane” and mish, meaning “river”.  The name may have originated with the Snoqualmie Tribe -- some tribal members once lived along the lake near the bottom of Inglewood Hill -- but this has not been verified.

East Lake Sammamish Parkway: East Lake Sammamish Road, as it was informally known in the early decades of the twentieth century, was officially named Redmond-Issaquah Road through the 1930s and possibly into the 1940s.  Historical records suggest that locals at the time used both names to refer to the road.

Southeast 4th Street: SE 4th Street west of 228th Avenue SE was originally named E.A. Pearson Road.

Southeast 24th Street: SE 24th Street is identified as Pine Lake Road west of 212th SE on a 1936 map, while east of 228th Avenue SE, SE 24th Street is identified as Beaver Lake Road.

Reard Freed Farm

Reard-Freed House: Located at 1807 212th Ave SE, the Reard-Freed House is one of the earliest structures built on the Sammamish Plateau that still stands, second in time only to the Bengston Cabin. Jacob D. Reard, a German immigrant, built the house between 1892 and 1895 and lived there during its earliest years.  Oscar Freed bought it from a subsequent owner in 1928; he and later his son Richard owned the house until 1996.

Phil Dougherty
January 7, 2008

Beaton Hill:  Long-time resident Archie Howatson tells us that in the 1920s you went up a long, winding road from Lake Sammamish (Louis Thompson Road) to get to the top of Beaton Hill. The hill was named after farmer Angus J. Beaton (abt. 1881-1951), who owned a farm on the northeast corner of SE 8th Street and 218th Avenue SE; the farm remains in the family today.  The 1930 census shows that Beaton was born in Scotland and immigrated to America in 1909, and obtained his U.S. citizenship in Pennsylvania. He moved to Washington state between 1921 and 1925.

Beaver Lake:  The origin of the name for Beaver Lake, located in southeastern Sammamish, is as obvious as it sounds -- yes, it came from the beavers that live on and around the lake.

Bengston Cabin:  James Bengston (1845-1896) and Johanna Bengston (1852-1946), both native-born Swedes, are believed to have arrived on the Sammamish Plateau late in 1887 or in early 1888. (This should be researched further.) The Bengstons settled on a 160 acre homestead encompassing an area roughly between today’s NE 26th Street and NE 30th Place on both sides of 244th Avenue NE.  Bengston subsequently transferred 80 acres of his homestead to his brother-in-law, Charles Isackson, when Isackson arrived on the Plateau in 1893. Part of the 80 acres that Bengston kept is today’s Broadmoore Estates.

It is believed the Bengstons built their cabin in the winter of 1888, and it still stands at its original location at 3019 244th Avenue NE, the oldest surviving pioneer structure in Sammamish. Johanna Bengston lived in the cabin until shortly before her death in July 1946.

Isackson’s Hill:  Isackson’s Hill was the unofficial name for the hill above Isackson’s Mill, just south and west of 244th Avenue NE and Redmond-Fall City Road.  Henry Isackson (1895-1981), the son of Charles Isackson (1865-1954), started Isackson’s Mill in 1936, and it remains in use today, operated by his son, Duane; it is only one of two remaining operating lumber mills (the other is in Issaquah) on or immediately adjacent to the Sammamish Plateau.  While the mill is located just north of the Sammamish city limits, Henry Isackson’s property stretched up the hill into Sammamish as far south as today’s Broadmoore Estates, making the higher part of Isackson’s Hill in today’s Sammamish. 244th Avenue NE was informally known as Isackson Hill Road, and for decades was the only way onto the Plateau from the north in the area (Sahalee Way was not built until the 1970s.)

Issaquah-Pine Lake Road:  This road is identified as “Gobel Road” on a 1936 area map. 

Louis Thompson Road:  The road is identified as “Thompson Road” in the 1920 U.S. Census for the Inglewood precinct, and Louis Thompson is also shown as living (as a boarder in the home of John Pochath) in the Inglewood precinct in 1920. (However, he does not appear in the 1910 or 1930 censuses for Inglewood.) The 1920 census shows that Thompson was born in Denmark (curiously, his age is deliberately omitted from the census) and immigrated to America in 1902. As of 1920 he had not obtained U.S. citizenship. According to the census, Thompson was a “deck man” for a “shingle mill,” perhaps Weber’s mill to the north. 

Mint Grove:  Mint Grove is located in the 1200-1400 block of East Lake Sammamish Parkway SE.  By the mid-1920s there was a picnic ground and swimming beach there, run by a family named Mundorf (possibly E.G. Mundorf , who lived about half a mile south of Mint Grove at Sulphur Springs Point). In the 1930s and 1940s George Hauser owned a large chicken cannery which was located just north of Mint Grove.

Parr’s Park:  Parr's Park was located along the lakefront in the cove just north of what was then known as Sutter’s Point (and also by its formal name, Sulphur Springs Point), or just north of what is today’s View Point Park. View Point Park is located near the intersection of East Lake Sammamish Parkway SE and SE 22nd Place.  Parr’s Park was a recreation area that existed from at least the late 1930s (and possibly earlier) until the late 1950s.  The park was originally owned and managed by John C. Parr, but around 1940 Jack and Lillian Alma began managing the park, though the property (and park) remained in Parr’s name.  In 1951 the park was purchased by the Maggard family and became Maggard’s Resort (though it is still typically remembered as Parr’s Park). According to a Maggard family member, the resort had 13 cabins, 13 boats, 13 picnic tables, 13 outhouses, a store, and a large fishing dock with a boathouse.

Pine Lake:  Located just west of 228th Avenue SE and just south of SE 20th Street, Pine Lake has been a favored recreation spot for most of the past century.  But the origins of its name are a little curious. Pine trees are not native to Pine Lake and weren’t native when the lake was named in the late nineteenth century.  Perhaps one of the early settlers confused the western red cedar trees at the lake with pine trees.

Sahalee:  This neighborhood (and world famous 27-hole golf course) is located in north-central Sammamish.  The golf course opened in 1969, with the housing development slowly built around it during the 1970s. The name Sahalee is a Chinook name which means “high heavenly ground.”

Sammamish:  Sammamish is a Native American name, but it does not, contrary to some published reports, mean “hunter people.”  According to Hitchman, the name Sammamish is derived from samma, meaning “the sound of the blue crane” and mish, meaning “river.”  The name may have originated with the Snoqualmie Tribe -- some tribal members once lived along the lake near the bottom of Inglewood Hill -- but this has not been verified.

Shady Rest:  Located on the east side of what is today roughly the 700 block of East Lake Sammamish Parkway NE, Shady Rest sported a store, gas station and a few cabins between the 1930s and 1950s.  There was a very small motel -- described by a resident from the late 1940s as a few “connected cabins”-- on a knoll just above and to the left of the store (toilet at the end of the row) and a few more cabins to the right of the store, just off of East Lake Sammamish / Redmond-Issaquah Road.

Sulphur Springs Point:  This tip of land that juts into Lake Sammamish was located near today’s East Lake Sammamish Place NE and SE 190th Place.  Many locals in the first half of the twentieth century also referred to the point as Sutter’s Point, so named after Fritz Sutter, who owned land at the point. Sulphur Springs Point and the immediate surrounding area was -- at least officially -- named View Point Park by 1950.  Sulphur Springs Point got its name from springs on the site which sported that infamous sulfur smell.  (One local historian says that years ago the springs were disturbed and no longer follow their original course, and are now diverted into an underground piping system.)

Weber’s Point:  Weber’s Point, on the northeastern shore of Lake Sammamish, was originally named Mercer’s Point. But during the early twentieth century it became unofficially known as Weber’s Point and by 1950 was officially named Weber’s Point. Weber’s Point was named after Joseph Weber (abt. 1865-1937), who opened his first shingle mill on the point in September 1901.  By 1907 he had opened a second mill just south of the first one, which operated for about ten years. Weber closed the remaining mill in December 1930. The community of Sammamish was at Weber’s Point between the 1900s and the early 1930s, but by the mid-1930s both Sammamish and Weber were gone.

212th SE:  The southern part of 212th SE was officially named J.J. Huvinen Road through at least 1950, but most who lived there at the time didn’t call it that. Instead it was called Sunderhauf Hill Road after John Sunderhauf, whose home was on the south side of the road just above Alexander’s Resort. Sunderhauf (b.1872) was a German immigrant who moved to Monohon in March 1895, only six months after he became a naturalized American citizen. He is particularly remembered as being one of the owners of the Monohon Canvas Boat and Canoe Manufacturing Company between 1908 and 1925. North of SE 24th Street (then known as Pine Lake Road), Sunderhauf Hill / J.J. Huvinen Road became Thompson Road.

Phil Dougherty                                                                                                                     January 28, 2008


Sources: Robert Hitchman, Place Names of Washington (Tacoma, WA: Washington State Historical Society, 1985), 154;  “Local And General,” The Issaquah Press, March 11, 1927, p.3;  Angelo Bruscas, “Development is the ‘high heavenly ground’ of golf,” Seattle Post-Intelligencer, August 8, 1998, Seattle P-I website archives, website accessed December 7, 2007 (; Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History, “Alexander’s Beach Resort (Sammamish),” “Monohon – Thumbnail History,” “Pine Lake area voters vote to establish a water district on November 6, 1945,” “Sammamish Neighborhoods: Inglewood -- Thumbnail History,” “Sammamish Neighborhoods: Weber’s Point --  Thumbnail History” (by Phil Dougherty), “King County Councilmembers, 1969-present,” (by Seattle mayor Greg Nickels), (accessed December 29, 2007);  Redmond Historical Society, “Lumbering Interests of King County,” The Coast, Vol. 17 No.6, June 1909, website accessed December 6, 2007 (;  Sammamish Heritage Society,  “The Bengston Cabin”, “The Reard/Freed House,” website accessed December 9, 2007 (;  Issaquah History On-Line, “History Mysteries, Solved!,” website accessed January 5, 2008, (;  1910 United States Federal Census, 1920 United States Federal Census, 1930 United States Federal Census, Inglewood (WA) precinct, website accessed December 8, 2007 (;  “Find A Grave,” website accessed January 5, 2008, (;  1936 Metsker’s Atlas of King County Washington, 29,30;  Kroll Atlas of Seattle and Suppliments, n.d. (c.1950);  1916 Monohon voter records (in possession of Puget Sound Regional Archives);  Eric Ericson, e-mails to Phil Dougherty, January 2 and January 4, 2008, in possession of Phil Dougherty, Sammamish, Washington;  Leo Isotalo, e-mail to Erica Maniez (Issaquah History Museums), December 2, 2006, in possession of Phil Dougherty, Sammamish, Washington;  Virginia Kuhn (Sammamish Heritage Society) e-mail to Phil Dougherty, January 17, 2008, in possession of Phil Dougherty, Sammamish, Washington;  Phil Dougherty interview of Dirk Forbes, January 4, 2008, Sammamish, Washington;  Phil Dougherty interview of Lorraine Mills, January 5 and 7, 2008, Redmond, Washington;  Phil Dougherty interview of Duane Isackson, January 10 and 11, 2008, Sammamish, Washington;  Phil Dougherty interview of Archie Howatson, January 16, 2008, Issaquah, Washington.

The Sammamish Heritage Society wants your input so we can further strengthen the threads of our heritage.  Contact me at, or (425) 836-0477, if you have historical information that you’d like to share.

Freed House Freed House