Baker House

Bengston Cabin 1

The Baker Family Home

The Baker house is a simple vernacular building 22 feet by 26 feet.  The front porch was 6 feet by 8 feet and the back porch was 6 feet by 14 feet, both were removed when the house was moved to its current location.  The home is historically significant as a rare remnant of early settlement and farming in the area between Pine Lake and Beaver Lake.

The property is listed in the King County Historic Resource Inventory as HRI #1644.  The Baker House was built in 1908.  It was originally heated with a wood burning stove with electric panels being added later.   At one time the property included a series of outbuildings: a garage, feed shed, three chicken houses, two sheds, a milk house, a brooder house and a pump house.  A barn built in 1895 occupied a place on the property until it was destroyed by the fire of 1939 that burned from a location near the current Safeway store all the way down to Beaver Lake.  At one time the property was fenced with heavy split rail built from trees harvested on the property.

Minnie and Earl Baker purchased the property in 1914 and with the help of some cowboys drove their herd of 6 dairy cows from Seattle to the farm.  The Baker Family had an active role in the formation of life on the plateau.  They sold dairy products from their “Elm Gate Farm”.  They also had a large poultry business raising S.C. White Leghorns.  Their son Ed had the job of mixing up a complex chicken meal recipe to feed the flock.

The Bakers helped build the old one room Pine Lake School.  Their only child Ed attended the Pine Lake School for a time.  Ed is developmentally disabled and was easily influenced by other children, therefore Minnie determine she would home school Ed.  Minnie had been trained as a teacher.

Ed Baker was in his 90’s living with his longtime caregiver when Centex acquired the property.  Centex had a new mobile home moved to the property for them to live in.  Ed enjoyed the activity that took place on the property as Centex was building the Laurels Homes. As a child he enjoyed being around the loggers in the Beaver Lake area, often having breakfast with them and then having another once he return home.  One of Ed’s greatest joys in life was chopping wood.

Earl Baker passed away in 1955 and Minnie in 1976.

Centex Developed the Baker property and created the Laurels neighborhood.  When Centex realize the historic value of the Baker Home they voluntarily determined to preserve the home and the contents of the home became the property of the Sammamish Heritage Society.  The farmhouse was relocated to a recreation tract toward the front of the new neighborhood.

Baker House second view

Freed House Freed House